Join Carole Maher & the Thermoplastics Revolution
New, high tech Thermoplastic materials will revolutionise and change the way we create Millinery. We will focus on new materials and explore their extraordinary qualities and benefits.
In this advanced workshop you will learn how to block crowns, brims & make trim. Thermoplastic is quick and easy to use. It is light and self adhesive, doesn't require wire, stiffener or drying time and the form holds its shape well. It can be sewn by hand or on a machine, painted, covered or cut.
The opportunities are endless. Thermoplastics lend themselves well to all forms of Millinery from top hats to sculptural light weight headpieces, as well as traditional crown & brim hats. They are also a fantastic for theatrical Millinery & props.
Date: Tuesday July 10th 2018
Time: 10:00am - 5:00pm (stay for a chat & drink until 6:00pm)
Location: EJ Ward Community Centre, 189 Underwood St, Paddington 2021 NSW (please note there is minimal parking at this location).
Experience Level: Intermediate to Advanced
What's on offer:
- Workshop Participation ($275) + Thermoplastic Material Kit ($30).
- Design two headpieces/hats using two different Thermoplastic materials.
- Learn how to block leather & fabric over Thermoplastics.
- Create a head wire or band to attach the piece to.
- Create trim with Thermoplastic & use this to finish the pieces off so you can take two completed pieces home.
- Sample & play with new Thermoplastics.
- Lunch will be supplied.
- Your own copy of professional notes to keep.
- Milliners sewing kit
- Small hat block or brim & a poly head block
- Large household scissors & a long thin blade knife
- Plastic apron
- Leather/shoe glue (flexible contact cement for leather, rubber etc.)
- Silicone spotted gardening gloves (tight fitting) for safety reasons if desired (Aldi)
- Blocking pins and/or ties
- Baking parchment (2m each)
- Material to cover & line the Thermoplastic
- Leather; Nappa or Kid (must be thin & stretchy)
- Fabric, straw cloth, stretch pleather, parisisal, stretch lace (must be stretch)
- Petersham/grosgrain ribbon
- Thermoplastics kit supplied on the day
To purchase materials for this workshop, please visit House of Adorn by clicking on this LINK.