Join Carole Maher for her Hat Block Handbag & Headpiece Workshop!
Learn how to create a Handbag or Clutch Bag using Hat Blocks and regular Millinery materials and handbag findings.
Imagine a flat shaped round bag made using a medium steep cartwheel block, or a small triangular 3D bag using a small crown!
You will learn how to create a pattern and block using a thermo-formable material, followed by learning how to cover and construct a bag, and how to fix bag furniture/findings like zips, d.clips, handles, magnets, chain etc.
Discover 3D tricks and learn techniques used in the bag making industry including design, pattern, blocking, lining and hardware.
You will complete a handbag in this workshop using hat blocks, thermoplastic, swiss braid and findings to ensure a professional finish. And you will be able to adapt the techniques to any hat blocks to create unique handbags.
You will also spend 1/2 day making a headpiece using a mixture of thermoplastic materials and the same or contrasting straw braid as the bag. This will enable you to provide a much needed service to clients wishing to have co-ordinated look. And best of all you get to take home the hat block!
Date: Saturday 6th & Sunday 7th July 2019
Time: 9:30am - 5:30pm each day.
Location: Melbourne Hub @ Eastland, Town Square, 175 Maroondah Highway, Ringwood, Vic 3134
Experience Level: Intermediate to Advanced; some knowledge of blocking & handling Swiss Braid is required.
What's on offer:
- Workshop Participation ($400) + Specialised Material Kit ($50).
- Create a Handbag using Hat Blocks & matching headpiece.
- Learn the construction of a hand bag using materials you are already familiar with.
- Learn to work with Thermoplastics.
- Hat Block to take home.
- Your own copy of professional notes to keep.
- Materials Kit including Thermoplastic, bag findings, shoe makers adhesives, toyo cloth, hat block ($50 included in workshop price)
- Swiss Braid, at least 1"/2.5cm Wide, 11m (6 for bag, about 5 for headpiece; depending on design).
- Heat-gun (not essential, but please bring one if you have one)
- Small Hammer
- Baking Paper
- Basic Millinery Sewing Kit
- Leather Needle
- Thread to match Swiss Braid
- Long Nose & Flat Nose small pliers
- Blocking Pins
- Millinery Wire
- Alice Headband & fabric to cover
- Hat Block for the headpiece (your choice/design)
- 'Chunky' Zip preferably with plastic teeth that is 56cm or longer to match Racello braid you are using to make handbag.
To purchase materials for this workshop, please visit House of Adorn by clicking on this LINK.