Join Carole Maher for her Hat Block Handbag & Headpiece Workshop!
Learn how to create a Handbag or Clutch Bag using Hat Blocks and regular Millinery materials and handbag findings.
Imagine a flat shaped round bag made using a medium steep cartwheel block, or a small triangular 3D bag using a small crown!
You will learn how to create a pattern and block using a thermo-formable material, followed by learning how to cover and construct a bag, and how to fix bag furniture/findings like zips, d.clips, handles, magnets, chain etc.
Discover 3D tricks and learn techniques used in the bag making industry including design, pattern, blocking, lining and hardware.
You will complete a handbag in this workshop using hat blocks, thermoplastic, swiss braid and findings to ensure a professional finish. And you will be able to adapt the techniques to any hat blocks to create unique handbags.
You will also spend 1/2 day making a headpiece using a mixture of thermoplastic materials and the same or contrasting straw braid as the bag. This will enable you to provide a much needed service to clients wishing to have co-ordinated look. And best of all you get to take home the hat block!
Date: Saturday 6th & Sunday 7th July 2019
Time: 9:30am - 5:30pm each day.
Location: Melbourne Hub @ Eastland, Town Square, 175 Maroondah Highway, Ringwood, Vic 3134
Experience Level: Intermediate to Advanced; some knowledge of blocking & handling Swiss Braid is required.
What's on offer:
- Workshop Participation ($400) + Specialised Material Kit ($50).
- Create a Handbag using Hat Blocks & matching headpiece.
- Learn the construction of a hand bag using materials you are already familiar with.
- Learn to work with Thermoplastics.
- Hat Block to take home.
- Your own copy of professional notes to keep.
- Materials Kit including Thermoplastic, bag findings, shoe makers adhesives, toyo cloth, hat block ($50 included in workshop price)
- Swiss Braid, at least 1"/2.5cm Wide, 11m (6 for bag, about 5 for headpiece; depending on design).
- Heat-gun (not essential, but please bring one if you have one)
- Small Hammer
- Baking Paper
- Basic Millinery Sewing Kit
- Leather Needle
- Thread to match Swiss Braid
- Long Nose & Flat Nose small pliers
- Blocking Pins
- Millinery Wire
- Alice Headband & fabric to cover
- Hat Block for the headpiece (your choice/design)
To purchase materials for this workshop, please visit House of Adorn by clicking on this LINK.